(cba:news) SDSSp_J173008.38+624754.7, a new friend

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Tue Oct 23 07:57:07 EDT 2001

Dear CBAers,

Tonny Vanmunster and Arto Oksanen found superhumps in this newly
discovered dwarf nova.  Tonny's message is below.  So far, no observations
from North America... let's stand up for our longitude, fill in the gap,
and nail down that period!  (The star's coords are in the name.)

Since the outburst won't last much longer, I'd rate this one the
highest-priority evening object right now (above WZ Sge).  The two
northern targets in the midnight-morning sky are V592 Cas and TT Ari -
both very bright, enjoy the light!

And the southern target is BW Scl... faint and exotic.

    joe

Dear colleagues,

I have now completed a period analysis of
SDSSp_J173008.38+624754.7, using the complete set of
observations obtained at CBA Belgium Observatory last
night, October 22/23 (5.25 hours).

The PDM technique yields a superhump period value of
0.0801 +/- 0.0009 d, which is close to the value
reported by Taichi below, although not yet completely
in line.

I will post the complete light curve to my Web site
later today.

Please continue your follow-up observations, as multi-
longitude coverage is needed to secure the outbursting
characteristics of this new UGSU CV.

With kind regards,
Tonny Vanmunster
CBA Belgium Observatory