(cba:news) V1674 Her, last call?

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Mon Sep 4 13:35:26 EDT 2023

Hi CBAers,

Many thanks for all your well-wishes in my recovery from a june brush
with death.  Aside from a broken wrist and slightly impaired walking, I
think I'm OK now.  After being seizure=free for 22 years, I got a little
over-confident.  I dunno whether I can get back to teaching... but I was
overdue to retire anyway (76 yo).  Having I expect to keep up with
research for a few more years.

Speaking of which, I'm still tremendously psyched to learn the periodic
behavior of V1674 Her.  The early 2023 result is: now around V=17.9, but
flashing very strong 500 second periodic signals.  The latter might look
like noise in your data... but very likely it's just the very strong
(likely rotational) signal.  But we need to keep after it, since (a)
it's short, and (b) the remaining observing season is also short.  Since
the Moon has mostly moved out of the way for evening targets, now is the
time to get (reasonably) long runs on V1674 Her.  I promise you, your
data is much better than it looks!  (The 500 sec signal looks like noise!)

I expect to attend the Boston AAVSO meeting, and hope to see many of you
there.