(cba:news) V1674 Her: Save the Last Dance for Me

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Fri Sep 24 12:40:43 EDT 2021

Hi CBAers,

Hercules is no longer in prime position, but it would be *great* if we
could get two more weeks of data on Nova Her - especially in the USA
where the coverage has fallen off.  Aside from being (maybe) the
fastest/most luminous nova in history, it has shocked me with its two
periodic signals - orbit and spin.  I think there is good evidence here
that accretion (not just nuclear) plays a large part in the nova
energetics. The last I checked, this is nova heresy.

The most recent data is a tad sketchy, largely due to sky position and a
bright moon.  But it looks like the 3.6 hour orbital wave, really
healthy for the last 70 days, is now getting weak.  Simultaneously the
8-minute spin signal appears to be strengthening.  Whether we can prove
this depends on the density of coverage during the next two weeks

As usual, *length* of run matters a lot.  This time of year, 3 hours
would be great.  1 hour doesn't help much.  The spin ephemeris is in
good shape; only the orbit is getting funky.

Got any not-yet-sent runs?  I'm awfully eager to see them!