(cba:news) Fwd: target stars for July-Aug

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sat Jul 3 07:53:00 EDT 2021

Great summary from Enrique.  A few other comments:

1. AM CVn.  A few CBAers, esp. David Cejudo, have been tracking this guy
past its usual experiation date.  These have accomplished our goal - to
explore the correation of the negative and positive superhumps signals.
And to my surprise, shown that period changes in the two signals
*correlate* - just the opposite from what we'd expect from basic physics
(which essentially means that we have to explore some non-basic
physics!)  So: campaign concluded.

2. V1674 Her.  Yes, a really great choice!  Good for a V fiter now, if
you have a good one.  We still don;t know much about periods, but
Hercules will be gracing our sky for a long time.  This one just has the
whiff of a really great star.

3. V1974 Cyg.  With our (mostly new, inspired by T Pyx and IM Nor)
interest in novae of short P_orb, this one takes on new interest.  Lots
of not-quite-critical-mass data from past years, easy to redeem if we
can get really solid coverage in summer-fall 2021.

4. DQ Her.  Only if you can resolve the 71 s pulse.  Long runs with 20 s
time resolution will do it.  You don't have to resolve EVERY pulse -
this thing is stable over weeks to months... and a 20 s integration (for
example) is mathematically equivalent to an instantaneous measure at the
mid-point of the integration.  Assuming your recorded times are in fact
the mid-points of the integrations.  (But admittedly, it's an ambitious
target for small copes.  Lew Cook does great with it - but I think he
has a 26" scope.)

5. "Nova Sco 1437" and V4743 Sgr.  Both really good southern targets,
amd likely IPs.

6. CI Aql.  Another winner, as Enrique says.  Long runs really
desirable, since Porb is so long.

The year's teaching is finally over... and I'm out of zoom jail (I
think).  That'll help me keep up with all the data.

joe