(cba:news) V1674 Her, again

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Fri Aug 6 08:37:50 EDT 2021

Hi CBAers,

A couple of extra remarks on the (reasonably) new nova.

1. Try for long runs.  As usual, we try to splice runs from distant
longitudes to establish a consistent magnitude scale.  (The fact that
it's not a *standard* magnitude scale is not important or relevant.)
Lately, that magnitude scale is Tonny Vanmunster's, since his runs from
Spain have been the most abundant.  So efforts to observe when Hercules
is still reasonably available in the sky of western Europe would be
nice.  Probably we'll also have a well-established scale in the USA
before long, once the western observers jump in.

2. I notice from data submissions that these magnitude offsets are
changing significantly.  That is very likely because people are changing
comparison stars or filters, probably in response to the nova's rapid
fading. Some indication of this in the submission (the data file, or the
accompanying letter) would be helpful.  My guess is you'll probably want
to stick to unfiltered from here on, unless the nova unexpectedly
brightens (a lot).

3. The pattern of variability is still not clear, but is something I've
never seen before in a nova.  And I've been looking a LONG time!