(cba:news) Fwd: (cba:chat) The Return of Maxie?... and some expired "suoersoft" stars

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Mon Sep 14 19:38:10 EDT 2020

Thanks Joe for this important notification. Maxie has (ASASSN-18ey)still
not reached its expiration date.  Long time series are no longer
possible, but a 1-hour observation is just fine.

Our regular-journal paper is nearing completion.  One last outburst of
any size would be a fitting send-off.

We also have finished with V617 Sgr, QR And, and CI Aql... which are
bundled in with the paper on IM Nor and T Pyx.  All these stars are done
for the year.  Around 15 of you, who have observed these stars, will be
getting the first version of this very detailed paper shortly.

The main issue that the IM Nor et al. paper addresses is this: how much
does a classical-nova event affect the basic structure of the binary,
and how long does that disturbance persist?  (And the suggested answers
are surprising: a lot, and for centuries, possibly millennia).  Sure has
been fun writing it!

September-October menu coming in a day or so.

joe