(cba:news) CC Scl... and intermediate polars

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sat Oct 17 07:29:47 EDT 2020

Hi CBAers,

Oops, I left out our campaigns on intermediate polars; I'll study and
comment later on priorities among them (the list is getting big!).
Enrique, do you want to chip in re these?

And CC Scl.  Gordon, Berto, and Josch have done well on this
multi-periodic star this year (I think our first big year on it - the
periods are still not nailed down).  But Josch's coverage in the
"Americas" longitude is low time resolution, and some North American
observers - definitely Walt Cooney & Richard Sabo, and likely others -
can get good coverage of this 17.0 mag star at high time resolution (~1
minute).  Not for very long (Sculptor!), but some 3-hour runs at good
time resolution would break aliases and reveal the true underlying
period structure.

[OK, Richard's off the hook* - Montana! - but southern USA should be
good.  (*On second thought, only if he votes for Steve Bullock.)]

For those of you new to the CBA, breaking the 24-hour alias problem is
one of our prime reasons for existence.  You just can't nail down
periods from observations at a simgle longitude (as I spent the first 10
years of my career learning).  There's so much WATER in the southern
hemisphere!...and many studies of periodic behavior in southern stars
suffer from this uncertainty.

joe p