(cba:news) The month of HP Lib

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Thu Jun 11 17:26:14 EDT 2020

Hi CBAers,

I'm getting plenty of data now on DQ Her, and have some very accurate
pulse timings - enough to establish a very accurate phase during June
2020.  It's time to put the star aside until october  (late-season
timings make it possible to ascertain a unique cycle count between one
season and the next).

The urgent need now is HP Lib.  We are getting good coverage from Berto
in South Africa, and from several European observers.  But you
norteamericanos - other than Tut Campbell - seem to be averse to that
southerly declination.  How scary can -14 degrees be?  At mag 13.8 and
with a 0.05 mag rapid oscillation, it's a pretty easy target for every
observer.  Long runs are nice of course, but anything >2.5 hours would
be useful.

As with AM CVn, HP Lib's main signal is a superhump - in itself, not all
that interesting.  But with a really strong campaign, we can subtract
the superhump and find the weak orbital signal in the residuals.  In
addition, we can search for a negative superhump, like in AM CVn.  It is
such a dead ringer for AM CVn... I bet that negative superhump is in
there, happy to emerge once our detection limits get just a little bit
stronger!

Later in the night, V1494 Aql and V1974 Cyg are definitely juicy targets
for you northerners.  More in a few days.