(cba:news) (cba:chat) MAXIE is back

Joe Patterson jp42 at columbia.edu
Thu Feb 20 07:50:11 EST 2020

Because of the unfavorable sky position, the main reward now is likely
to be semi-snapshots.  Previous rebrightenings/echoes have lasted a
couple of weeks.  But it's a very good target to schedule for "last
object of the night".  Watch out for that onrushing twilight!

I'll send out a longer recommended-target list tonight.  But here are
two high priorities:

QS UMa (the old "UMa 6"). David Cejudo has been carrying out great
coverage from Spain.  But we really need some comparably intensive
coverage from the USA (the 10-hour period certainly rewards *extensive*
spread in longitude).

AM CVn. Similar comment, only now it's the Euros that have been not so
active.  So, in this Olympic year, let's get all (northern ) nations on
board.  Lengthy time series are quite advantageous, because the three
distinct periods (1051 s, 1029 s, 1011 s) need time to separate cleanly
in phase.  But don't tamper with the 2.0 airmass rule; these signals are
extremely precise, so it behooves us to be as precise as conditions allow.

Congrats again to Joe U for keeping the faith on Maxie!

joe [