(cba:news) V392 Per... and CI Aql

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sun Aug 23 10:17:21 EDT 2020

Hi CBAers,

Joe Ulowetz's recent (this week) photometry suggests that this obscure
star in Perseus - before its 2018 nova event - is flashing a T-Pyx-like
short-period (orbital?) signal at us.  That would be mighty nice, and
the star has arrived back in the morning northern sky for decently long
morning runs.  I believe that there is a companion about 8 arc-sec away,
so be mindful of that hazard.  Otherwise, it seems to be an ideal
target, at about magnitude 15 and likely giving good clues on what novae
do a few years after eruption.  (A phase for which there is not a whole
lot of compelling evidence.)

We have a pretty good month-long campaign going on another od nova, CI
Aql. This one is a fully (OK, almost fully) credentialed  cousin of T
Pyx; and indeed, its light curve looks similar too.  However, its
near-equatorial location and long Porb (15 hours) means that no one can
actually record an orbit - or anything close - in one night.  So it's a
tad difficult to piece together relatively short light curves - because
of the inevitable night-to-night erratic variability.  See if you can
get some 5- and 6- hour light curves, and if they were patched pretty
close together in time, so much the better.

We have a paper on IM Nor (a T Pyx clone) almost ready to ship, and it
includes analysis and long-term records on V617 Sgr (nominally a V Sge
star) and QR And (nominally a supersoft).  Presented together because in
my view, these are basically the same type of star - a massive WD
accreting at a very high rate.  So those stars are OFF THE TARGET LIST
until February at least.  I'll send the draft around in a few weeks
(sooner if you're vitally interested).

joe p