(cba:news) August stars, redux... plus CI Aql and the nova project

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sat Aug 1 06:33:02 EDT 2020

Oops, the eyes are not what they used to be!... and they were never that
good anyway.  As Damien suspects, the proper names are FO Aqr and V1223
Sgr. Good to know someone has high standards (evident in his photometry
too).

Also, I omitted one critical star, which I would rate as the highest
priority for August-September observing: the recurrent nova CI Aql.  I
stopped thinking about this star years ago, after learning that its
orbital period is long (~16 hours).  But others, wiser than I,
recognized that as far as recurrent novae are concerned, it's definitely
in the "short Porb" class.  Eclipsing too, and on the celestial equator.
Those should award very high CBA points.  So it really should be one of
our faves, and now is the season.  I'm really eager to see CBA data on it.

While long observations are very desirable for this 16-hour star, don't
get too frisky with airmass (i.e., you probably should observe the 2.0
airmass limit).

We'll be getting some interesting papers out on "old novae" this year,
and it would be good to start thinking about light curves of "old novae"
(long past outburst).  Now that ASAS-SN, ZTF, etc. are revealing so many
dwarf novae, the novae are getting somewhat neglected.  Since each nova
takes years to play out its particular messages, while each dwarf nova
is a matter of days-to-weeks, that's understandable.  But in my opinion,
the incremental knowledge we get from novae is now much higher (per
observing hour, say)  As the seasons march on, I'll discuss priorities
re nova targets.

Koji Mukai has a very famous online bible for intermediate polars, and
recently updated one on recent novae too:

https://asd.gsfc.nasa.gov/Koji.Mukai/novae/novae.html

Only a few of these stars will ever graduate to become CBA targets -
they're typically quite faint, in Sco-Sgr, highly reddened, etc.  But
for those special interest in novae, this belongs as one of the revered
texts.

joe