(cba:news) Post-outburst orbital light curves of novae

Joe Patterson jp42 at columbia.edu
Mon Mar 25 10:50:25 EDT 2019

More on this short- and long-term project of studying the orbital light
curves of recent novae...

This is truly a project which will have long-term significance.  If we
only knew the just-after- eruption orbital light curves of the famous
novae - DQ Her, V603 Aql, GK Per, RR Pic, CP Pup... what a bonanza that
would be!  The reason is that in early post-eruption, there's a big ol'
luminous white dwarf, which illuminates the accretion disk.  After the
WD temperature drops below about 300000 K, it's no longer observable in
X-ray telescopes.  But "absence of evidence is not evidence of
absence"... and there's a critical and open question: on what timescale
does the binary transition from illuminating-WD-dominated to
accretion-dominated?  The orbital light curve (and eclipse shapes, for
the binaries of higher inclination) is a good probe of this.  We pretty
much know the story 50-100 years after outburst, but we'd like to know 3-10!

The novae which reached V>10 in outburst are generally not worth
pursuing.  Same for the galactic center guys.  It's the bright ones
which are worth the effort. Koji's links will tell you a lot of info
about these.  You'd be surprised how little is known about the
post-novae: a flurry of ATels, maybe 2 published papers... and then:
hey, it's on to the next nova.  Claus Tappert and Linda Schmidtobreick
are exceptions; they pay close attention to the old novae on all
relevant timescales, and have some big glass available (both based in
Chile). Otherwise, it's somewhat of an orphaned subject.
(Spectroscopically, Fred Walter - the source of the "SMARTS" links - is
the world's authority on the subject.)

That's some background.  Most old novae have *nothing at all* known
about their behavior 5-20 years after outburst.  Even if you have just
an upper limit on magnitude - the minimal quantum of information - it
could be useful.  Collect 'em and send!

joe p