(cba:news) CR Boo, HP Lib, IM Nor, WX Cen, NR TrA, V407 Lup

Joe Patterson jp42 at columbia.edu
Mon Mar 25 08:20:49 EDT 2019

Among those stars:

T Pyx done for the season.  We have enough to nail down the ephemeris -
and hopefully the physics!

HP Lib and CR Boo: It's important to start the HP Lib season, which
would be about now (late March).  But about a week of coverage would
nail down the early-season phase of the periodic signal(s??). After
that, CR Boo wins.  Because it has outbursts, unlike AM CVn and HP Lib,
it's hard to say in advance what the priority-setting standard is (are
outbursts more or less informative than quiescence?)  Except for one
thing: its transitions to  17th magnitude, which used to be rare and
probably still are, are of VERY high interest,  A few weeks of coverage
will make these priority decisions easier.

There are some other southern stars asking for coverage.

1. IM Nor.  Got a paper almost ready to roll.  A few 2019 eclipse
timings will fortify the long-term ephemeris.  It's far-southern and
normally mag 18 out of eclipse, so likely only in Gordon's territory.

2. WX Cen. Another "V Sge" star, like IM Nor and T Pyx, with very rapid
change in Porb. A bright star, friendly for all scopes... but very
desirous of long runs, since Porb is long and the eclipses somewhat
shallow (~0.5 mag).

3. NR TrA.  We've been tracing out the orbital light curve since its
2008 outburst.  Let's get a high-quality result for 2019!

4. V407 Lup.  Time to start the season on this fascinating and possibly
unique star, a 2016 nova. Paper in an advanced state on this guy, but
needing another season.

We've gotten great results from our surveys of the post-eruption orbital
light curves, in general.  Koji Mukai's list of recent novae is an
excellent source of material to study:

https://asd.gsfc.nasa.gov/Koji.Mukai/novae/novae.html

The great majority of these targets are desirous of LONG observations...
but the AM CVn stars are less finicky than the others.

joe p