(cba:news) AM CVn and T Pyx

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Fri Mar 1 12:46:18 EST 2019

Hi CBAers,

It's not exactly "news", but I just wanted to cheer-lead for two of our
absolute favorite stars: AM CVn and T Pyx.  Both are in fine position
for observing - T Pyx somewhat (but not much) toward the end of its
prime season, and AM CVn somewhat (but not much)before the middle of its
prime season.  Where "prime" means transiting at local midnight.

These two stars probably represent the end-states of most CVs: one
spiralling out rapidly, the other spiralling in.  We're the only ones
who really know this (sssshhhh...), so it's up to us to get these rates
of in/out-spiral as accurately as we can.  Although we observe them a
lot, it's always the latest data which has the highest weight in
measuring these rates.  So I hope you'll give these stars a high
priority in your March observing... and reward them with *long* nightly
runs.

Just for your computing pleasure, I'm attaching a recent time series for
these stars: a 5-day time series on AM CVn, and  9-day sequence on T
Pyx.  Both a "zeroed" (mean subtracted), which aids in period-finding.
The Tpyx series is courtesy of Josch, Gordon, and Peter Nelson.  The AM
CVn series is courtesy of David Cejudo, Tonny, Shawn Dvorak, Geoff
Stone, ken menzies, and stephen brincat.  Try your period-finding
routines on them.