(cba:news) stars for Jan-Feb

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sun Jan 27 02:52:20 EST 2019

Hi CBAers,

As you've probably noticed, my favorites have swung much more in the
direction of old (and not so old) novae - and they dominate this list
too.  A list of "well-studied" dwarf novae would probably now run
100-200, so that's not so much where we're learning a lot of new things
(IMHO).  So the novae dominate this list.

I've been laboring mightily over V598 Pup - and am finished!  Except
maybe for a brief flurry near the end of the observing season.  I've
found a stable 3.5 hour period - surely the orbit - and some signals
around 1 hour which may or may not be stable.  Time to quit.

Strangely, the next southern mystery nova to tackle is V597 Pup.  It's
around 17.7 and eclipsing, so only accessible to the bigger scopes and
braver observers  Also with a few-minute signal which appears to be
stable.  A *great* star, but alas, beyond reach for most of us.

I realize it's strange, but the list of Puppis novae goes on.  We
haven't yet started the season on HZ Pup, and that's probably a very
juicy CBA target - with fast and slow periodic signals which are of
decent amplitude and still not properly published.  For australites out
there, this would be a good prime target - *certain* to be rewarding.

Then there's CP Pup, an old favorite.  Big ongoing campaign.  Worth
continuing if you've been covering it a lot.  If you haven't, switch to
HZ Pup or one of the other seasonal stars.

I also strongly recommend V902 Mon, a deep-eclipsing star with a
probable has a fast periodic signal.  Some of our data has already been
published anonymously as "AAVSO data", but we have plenty more, and it's
time to finish the study up.  A nice both-hemisphere star, ideal for
period-finding in our global network.

Most people like the stars which are *solidly* in their hemisphere
(since then you can get long runs).  The two good northern ones now are
AT Cnc and AM CVn - both asking for long continuous runs, night after
night.  The first is a new, unpublished IP... and the second of course
is one of the mega-stars of the sky.

I'll get access to my 2018-9 notebook later today, and might have some
other comments.

joe p