(cba:news) (cba:chat) IP Stars (many of which are novae)

Joe Patterson jp42 at columbia.edu
Wed Feb 20 06:45:26 EST 2019

Great list, Lew.  I can't praise Koji's list enough (although I'll
try).  Despite my recent infatuation with novae, IPs are my first
love... and this list manages to compact a huge range of useful
information, really well suited for picking-and-choosing.

Very few of these stars (maybe 10 in all) have known rates of period
change, and this is a really desirable thing to know.  It takes faithful
monitoring over an interval of at least a few years, and that's "a
bridge too far" for most professional astronomers.  But not for us.
Lew's strategy of adopting a few well-placed stars (with a 3-star or
above rating) and covering them throughout the season is a good one.
Shawn Dvorak has been doing something like that for years, though with a
wider net (not just IPs).

Some stars which caught my eye on scanning this list (for the umpteenth
time; it's GOSPEL): WX Pyx, EI UMa, V1025 Cen, and IGR1509-66.

If you want to construct your own sub-list, the one item missing from
the list is magnitude.  You'll find many of them in Koji's detailed
pages.  Others are just "?" - but you could measure it!

joe p