(cba:news) (cba:chat) Maxie update

Joe Patterson jp42 at columbia.edu
Wed Oct 10 09:38:54 EDT 2018

Hi HB,

Well, we should have a conversation about that some time!. The issue is
finding a period which "satisfactorily" describes the wiggles in the
light curve.  For ~90 days, it was obvious... because the data spanned
an average of ~16 hours out of 24, and the amplitude was huge (averaging
~0.35 mag). But there were still *some* ambiguities, for two reasons:

(1) The period wasn't quite constant, and there's no (divine) guidance
as to how to describe this - only one physical process with a nonzero
and variable dP/dt, or one with a nonzero dP/dt which morphed into a
different process with a constant P (orbit?).

(2) At low frequency (~1.4 cycles/day), there is always a concern about
noise: the effects arising  from splicing data from many telescopes,
differential extinction arising from high airmass (we encouraged LONG
runs, and couldn't have succeeded without them), our "Asia gap"... , or
nonrepeating peaks in the power spectrum in the vicinity of P_sh (CVs
are notoriously erratic and powerful at low frequency). Only the latter
is technically "noise" - but they're all hazards!

CVs at quiescence are often much easier to analyze, because the dominant
signal is usually pure orbit.  Next year! The star doesn't seem to be in
any hurry to calm down.

Your data is really good!  I hope you can keep going for the few weeks
left in the season.

joe

BTW when I say "snapshot magnitudes", I really mean "short time
series".  The star's flickering is still (and probably will remain) too
high to trust one snapshot magnitude.