(cba:news) N Sco 1437 outburst, AM CVn, HP Lib, ASASSN-18ey (Maxie)

Joe Patterson jp42 at columbia.edu
Mon May 14 15:11:42 EDT 2018

Hi CBAers,

The message below - from Rod Stubbings, who never misses anything -
vaults this star into a CBA target of prime importance.  The star itself
was recently discovered as a dwarf-nova coincident with a 1437 classical
nova.  So it's plenty interesting from that standpoint.  Even more
because it appears to be eclipsing.  The 2000 coordinates are 17h 01m
28.53s, -43d 05m 57s.  It's a crowded field, but since the dwarf-nova is
now quite bright, that should help!

There appear to many physically significant timescales in this star: a
30-minute spin (or something similar) period, a 12 hour orbital period,
and the (unknown but maybe ~300 d) outburst period.  Very ripe for CBA
analysis!

It has been our finest year on AM CVn, and some continuation of the
coverage would help.  But, whatever your latitude, i hope you give prime
attention to HP Lib.  Only once, 20 years ago, did we concentrate on
this star, and it is high time we make it a major target for a couple of
months.

Maxie also deserves your continued close attention.  We probably will
have a second HST observation in the next few weeks... but we need
maximally continuous coverage to detect and track its tricky 3- or
6-hour variation (orbital, maybe?).

A lot of data coming in.  And now that classes/exams/grading is all
finished, I can dive into the analysis with the energy it deserves.

joe p