(cba:news) (cba:chat) March stars

Joe Patterson jp42 at columbia.edu
Fri Mar 16 18:22:22 EDT 2018

Yes, I strongly recommend intense coverage of AT Cnc, for as many hours
as you can get it. Best *morning* target for the next 1-2 weeks is AM
CVn - also intensive.

Duplicating coverage on AM CVn isn't bad - in fact, it's highly
desirable.  AM CVn has three periodicities: at 525 s, 1051 s, and 1028
s.  The first two are generally the strongest; but because they're
superhumps - not stable on long timescales - they have to be removed in
order to track the orbital 1028 s signal.  Somewhat tricky, but can
always be done if the data are DENSELY distributed.  That's the key -
dense coverage.  This is true for most CBA programs, to some degree -
but never as much as AM CVn, because separating these closely spaced
frequencies is critical.

joe