(cba:news) Fwd: monitoring of SDSS1538

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Mon Mar 5 18:15:07 EST 2018

Hi CBAers,

Anna has sent this request.  The presence of such a hot WD in this
short-period binary is indeed a puzzle, and it's possible we could
contribute to its solution.  The estimated magnitude is 18.6, so it's a
daunting challenge for time-series photometry (unless it brightens).
However, some of you probably are able to get decent nightly brightness
estimates - by averaging, long exposures, etc.

I recommend unfiltered since you're likely to need every photon you can
get.  Be sure to specify your (primary?) comp star, so she can convert
it to a quasi-calibrated magnitude.  But I don't think a real time
series is feasible or even wanted (I'll ask).

joe p