(cba:news) Maxie and other things

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Wed Aug 22 10:51:55 EDT 2018

Hi CBAers,

Thanks to Lew and Doug for airing the threats to the continued life of
WWV/WWVH.  The WWV broadcasts are more or less what started me in
astronomy. I had seen an aurora, and wanted to know how I could see
more.  I was told that you had to listen to WWV for "geophysical
alerts"... and since it (and all the stations in its vicinity) broadcast
only in Morse code, I decided to learn Morse code.  Then decided I might
as well become a ham, got a license, etc.  Sign the petition!

Plus I always liked to listen for the leap second on December 31.  Then
got curious about leap seconds... leading on to the rest of life.

On to stars du jour.  The campaigns on VW Hyi and the various polars are
over.  I'll write later about what came out - mainly from the hard X-ray
observation.  But we have active campaigns on various seasonally
appropriate *intermediate* polars, and it's time to ramp those up, as
Maxie (ASASSN-18ey) has been sucking up all the oxygen.  See below.

But Maxie is still a viable target, and will be for ~6 more weeks.
People are still getting great-quality V-band photometry at 13.4 mag,
but unfortunately not as *many* people.  So it's getting hard to extract
maxima/minima from its 17-hour wave.  That wave was a superhump, but
could now possibly be an orbital signal, depending on its stability and
waveform.  We need more intense coverage to answer that question, which
is an important one!  V-band is best, don't fret time resolution as the
17-hour wave is *leisurely*!  Do fret length of run, though; at 17
hours, short runs are hard to work with.  3 hours or more is a good rule
of thumb.

IPs (DQ Her stars) can tolerate short observation, but all CBA targets
greatly profit from length of run.  This is because all CVs are subject
to erratic flickering on all time scales - so short runs are *easily*
bedevilled by flickering.  Anyway, here's the current CBA MOST WANTED
list for IPs:

AO Psc
V1223 Sgr
V2306 Cyg