(cba:news) OV Boo "preprint" and ASASSN 17-fp 51-min period (ATel #10354)

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sun May 7 04:56:47 EDT 2017

  Hi CBAers,

Attached is the quick-and-dirty paper on OV Boo, needed for the
AAVSO/SAS conference.  A few typos and other small errors... and to be
followed by a proper paper in mid- or late-year.

OV Boo is still a great target and, with its never-say-die superhumps
and sharp eclipse, will probably remain so throughout the observing season.

But it's time for some ole's concerning other targets, especially in the
southern hemisphere. I'll send out a more complete list later today, but
here goes.

ASASSN-17fp (18 08 51.10 -73 04 04.2) is a sure winner, if it's still
bright (it was yesterday!).  51-minute AM CVn stars are a puzzle, and
all the more so when they erupt.  Top priority, since it's the first
eruption, and since theory suggests they should be VERY rare.

ASAS-SN14ag is the other (08 13 18.52 -01 03 29.5).  Admittedly way out
of season, but with 90 minute eclipses, I bet we can get a few before
the season ends.  Worth fighting an airmass battle a little more than
usual, if the night permits.  Probably around 16th mag.

And V382 Vel, another good early-night target.  One of the best in our
nova-watch program, but which we've neglected recently.

NR TrA is another good target to start the season on.

And it's time to end coverage on IM Nor and NY Lup.  "Mission
accomplished" on these guys!

All of these targets call for the usual CBA approach - long time series
in unfiltered light.  If your CCD has a lot of UV sensitivity, then a
minus-UV or even minus-blue filter would be nice (basically always) -
because with our emphasis on *long* light curves, atmospheric extinction
can be a problem.

joe p