(cba:news) BT Mon, finis

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sat Dec 23 04:19:30 EST 2017

Hi CBAers,

Thanks for all the BT Mon data.  With its period so close to 8 hours,
it's not easy to get a full light curve, and in particular to test
securely for the presence of a secondary eclipse. (In an edge-on binary
of LONG Porb, a secondary eclipse is expected.)

I'm not 100% persuaded yet, but a secondary eclipse seems to be absent.
Also, the eclipses are coming very early - a full 0.05 P_orb early
relative to the existing ephemeris.  This needs no "persuading"... and
might signify a large period decrease. We'll repeat this next year and
see if that trend holds up (when the drift would grow to 0.06P_orb).

But we're done for the year.  Sorry to inflict such a difficult star on
you!  Next year it'll be easier, because we'll "know what we're looking
for"*.

joe p

*Ha!