(cba:news) BT Mon and AA Dor

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Fri Dec 15 22:46:24 EST 2017

Hi CBAers,

Thanks for your coverage of these interesting stars.  We're done with AA
Dor; since it's a "pre-CV" (no mass transfer), there's no flickering -
which means not much averaging is needed to amass an accurate orbital
light curve.  Done!  Beautiful light curve.

BT Mon is more complicated.  The eclipse times are plenty interesting,
and suggest quite a large period decrease.  But the actual orbital light
curve has proved elusive.  We have plenty of good-quality eclipses
(which I thought would be problematic because of the faintness), but
incomplete coverage of other phases.  In particular, orbital phases
0.4-0.9 are poorly covered.  Because the period is so close to 8 hours,
every night is pretty much the same.  Each day, the eclipses at xxx.06,
xxx.39. and xxx.73; so if you can cover orbital phases 0.4-0.9 on this
ephemeris, that'll clinch the full orbital light curve.  Just 1-2 weeks
of coverage will complete the study.  Thanks!