(cba:news) CBA stars for August

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Tue Aug 8 21:17:16 EDT 2017

Dear CBAers,

We're finally finished with DQ Her for the year.  Great, great coverage
by Jim Jones and Lew Cook.

Let's put V1974 Cyg and WZ Sge at the head of the class for (northern)
August runs.  For the latter, note there is a potential contaminant
about 8 arcsec away.  I presume that it's feasible for you to cleanly
exclude this star; but if it's a threat, then better to use a big
aperture and cleanly include it.

V1494 Aql is also a very desirable target for August - near the equator,
so a target for everyone.

Other good targets: V4743 Sgr, HP Lib, and especially V Sge (latter two
ideal for smallish scopes or mediocre conditions; no one has bit yet on
V Sge).

But as usual, we especially value LONG runs - not much beyond 2
airmasses, but long is highly desirable!