(cba:news) OV Boo's ripping, awesome, groovy, out-of-the-blue outburst

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Fri Apr 28 03:55:54 EDT 2017

Best strategy here is to increase exposure time, *gradually* as the star
gets fainter.  Unfortunately for us small-scopers, the brightness at
mid-eclipse does matter quite a bit - because it reveals how much light
is down there right at the white dwarf (the WD itself and inner disk).
So absence of points at mid-eclipse is a problem.

But time resolution is a somewhat bigger problem.  Everything happens
fast with this star, so we have to keep integrations short.

The star is still 2 mag above minimum light, and re-brightenings - even
second outbursts - are still possible.  We must keep going on this
unique star (only known Pop II star among the ~1000 known CVs).  S/N
around 10-15 is just fine.  By superposing the various light curves
("crowdsourcing") we're managing to get excellent data from these
various runs at S/N~15... and at least delineating the walls of the
sharp-walled eclipse.

We also have occasional opportunities for pot-shots with 1-meter
telescopes, later in May and June.  Mainly through John Thorstensen and
Matt Wood.  Let's stay good buddies with this star!

I'll present results-to-date at the SAS/AAVSO meeting (Ontario,
California) in mid-June, and hope to see a bunch of you there!

joe p