(cba:news) (cba:chat) DQ Her

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Tue May 31 04:37:34 EDT 2016

Yes, some CBAers might be able to resolve that signal, though you'd need
a cycle time of less than 25 s to do so.  That would be tough for most
people... so the main idea here is to explore for signals at or near the
*orbital* frequency.  Like for UX UMa.

An aspect of this that is also somewhat demanding, but interesting, is
the shape of the deep eclipse.  We know that it is slightly asymmetric,
but have never understood exactly why.  (Of course there's a story -
"the hot spot" - but it'd be nice to improve on that.)  Since it's a
deep eclipse (to 17th mag), you need longish integrations to explore
this.  A study of the variations of brightness AT MID_ECLIPSE could be
fascinating, and has never been done for this famous star.

Finally, there's a contaminating star about 4 arcsec away.  Have a night
of really good seeing? Know when the eclipses occur?  Then take quite
long images near mid-eclipse, and measure the contribution of the
contaminant.  Filtering isn't necessary or desirable; the key question
is, how much of the flux detected by *your system* is from the
contaminating star?

I wrote a paper on this star way back when:

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1979PASP...91..487P

Wrote it in longhand, too.  I think I wrote everything longhand then.

joe p