(cba:news) Mostly T Pyx, and GD 552

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Thu Jul 30 06:06:01 EDT 2015

Dear CBAers,

I'm finishing up the formal paper on T Pyx, and wanted to get all the
attributions, contact info, etc. down right.  I attach the ASP
conference-proceeding paper of 2013-4.  The upcoming paper is an
expanded version (conference proceedings always give you tight page
limits).  See if your contact info is correct and current.

I also attach a (compact) log of observations.  Attached is one possible
form.  Some published logs have great clutter (start times of each
observation, accurate to 0.1 second); that alone could run 50 pages.  So
I've prepared a log which contains the basic information, yet brief
enough that readers will actually look at it.  But you might have a
better idea, and there could be errors here, too.  You'll only spot the
errors in accounting for your own work, but that will alert me so I can
do some more digging and amend the table accordingly.

Other papers are forthcoming on IM Nor, V378 Peg, GD 552.  The first two
are simpler since the campaigns were much shorter.  As for GD 552, it's
back in the sky for us borealites, and since our network is much
stronger now, I want to make one last try to get a PRECISE orbital
period from our photometry.  It's near 0.0713 days, but we could improve
the accuracy by 100x if we could find the signal (it's weak, though the
star isn't particularly faint, at 16.6).  Anyway it's an excellent
all-night target for northern observers, at least on decent nights.
(It's the star labelled "Cep 1" in the Downes catalogue.  There's a
contaminating star, which you might - or might not? - need to include.)

I'll send the full UX UMa draft to you on Monday, when I get back to the
city.  (I'm spending the summer in the Catskill Mountains, which is why
I can get a lot of writing done... but don't have all my toys with me)

Oh... and in answer to Joe U's query: *yes*, the UX UMa campaign is
over.  Here comes the Sun/And I say it's all right...

joe p