(cba:news) December stars, and FS Aur

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Tue Dec 2 20:31:31 EST 2014

Thanks, Shawn. We have a couple of such states in past coverage - no
definite period, but enough to suggest (to me... but not nearly enough
to prove)a quasi-period of ~80 days.  Outbursts quite small (1.5 mag?)
and quite brief (2 d?).  Does that sound about right?

I have no idea if this star is *important*, but it sure is *unique*.  An
orbital period of 1.4 hr, and a decent-amplitude, strictly periodic
photometric wave of 3.4 hours.  Nuthin' like it in the sky, and way
different from the stars which dominate this orbital-period regime (the
dwarf novae and polars, probably 99% of the total).  It just wiggles
away.  What is it?

Could be a very rewarding target, if you don't mind a somewhat faint
star that doesn't do a helluva lot.  Seriously!  You'll definitely ask
yourself "is this really worthwhile?"  The eclipsers and superhumpers
offer more immediate rewards.

joe