(cba:news) Fwd: {SAS} 2014 Symposium Location and Dates

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Thu Sep 19 07:08:22 EDT 2013

Dear CBAers,

For those who didn't already get this (yesterday), here's the scoop
concerning the 2014 SAS/AAVSO/CBA meeting.  To my chagrin, they decided
to move it from Big Bear - which I really liked - to Ontario,
California, which is very near a moderately-big airport.  So that'll
bring some extra convenience, perhaps.

I hope to induce a significant chunk of our non-Americans to attend and
present results.  And I can possibly help with (some) $$ support,
airport pickups etc., and also organize some area sightseeing -
including some of the usual LA stuff and maybe a climb of Mount Baldy
(still probably a little snow-capped in early June).

If you've never attended a SAS meeting (and even more if you have),
these meetings are chock full of creative things people have done with
telescopes and observations.  And creative people of course.  The
internationals are (almost) always a hit with the audience; we
norteamericanos are pretty familiar with what's happening in nearby
backyards, and curious about what happens in distant ones, where the
challenges are often quite different.

Think about attending, and perhaps giving a paper.  "Papers" can be oral
or poster; strangely enough, they're not actually paper (until the
proceedings are published).

I'll discuss targets in a message later today.  But in case I'm run over
by a bus in the meantime (I cross Broadway twice a day, and every
crossing brings a 10**-7 probability)... let's QUIT on V1101 Aql, and
transfer all that wonderful effort to RX J2133.7+5107 ("Cyg" in the
Downes catalog).  This is a long Porb DQ Her star, in which Enrique has
discovered a previously unknown signature of accretion disk precession
(viz. its orbital sideband, or "negative superhump").  Because it's a
long period, long runs are needed - common enough for us.  But with long
periods, calibration is more critical, since differential extinction can
be problematic.  To minimize that, I recommend using the same comparison
star, and also listing the airmass if you can (so a rough extinction
correction is possible).  Enrique will follow up with more details, I think.

I'm done with begging for V1494 Aql data; CBAers just don't like this
star.  So let's quit.  But I'll start my begging earlier next year!