(cba:news) ASAS-SN 2013/08/29 Transients Update: Bright CV Candidate ASASSN-13ck

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Thu Aug 29 10:11:21 EDT 2013

Detection form ASAS and Kris Stanek.  This is an 8-magnitude range,
decently bright (therefore likely nearby, around 400 pc)... and it
*just* erupted.  So it certainly looks like a tempting target.  Great
sky position up there in Pisces, available to all hemispheres and
practically all hours of the night.

Fire away, with the usual CBA weaponry.

BTW...

For the last few years I've been lukewarm to discoveries of new dwarf
novae in eruption.  The reason is that we already have decent
information on ~150 of them... and thus to make a strong impact on
current knowledge, we might expect to need ~150 more.  (That's a
commonly cited rule of thumb.)  Nevertheless, there are a couple of
reasons why this ho-hum reaction might be inappropriate:

1. We might be wrong.  Science's golden rule: eschew hubris!
2. The extreme dwarf novae, more or less the "WZ Sge class" with a
magnitude range >7 mag, are very poorly understood and very hard to get
data on, since they erupt very seldom and become very faint in
quiescence.  And they're *probably* the most common type of CV, even
though few are known (because they're so extremely bashful).  So we need
to study every one that jumps up and says boo.

joe