(cba:news) Musings on Nova Del 2013, and some other novae, actual and imagined

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Fri Aug 16 14:33:34 EDT 2013

Hi Tony et al.,

    It's kind of a celebrity object right now, and too bright for our
CCDs.  Plus it's quite unlikely now to show rapid variability, because
the "photosphere" is thousands of WD-radii in size (the expanding shell
is a big opaque envelope many times bigger than the entire underlying
binary).  So I'd rather lie low until the shell goes transparent -
that's when we can first see down to the inner binary.  Roughly
speaking, that's when the soft X-rays first appear, or *very* roughly
when the nova falls about 5 mag.  Others will study this object pretty
well, now that it has hit the headlines.

    That's all premised on the assumption that it's "just another nova".
I haven't seen any evidence yet that it's something different... but the
sky is full of surprises!

    The stars that I'd mainly like to promote this month are V1101 Aql
and GD 552 ("Cep 1") in the north... BW Scl in the far south... and
V1432 Aql and V1494 Aql (Nova Aquilae 1999 - now *that* was a sight to
see!) for any conceivable hemisphere.

    Oh yes, one more, speaking of novae: HR Del.  A nice bright star
that has been strangely neglected (by us, too) in time-series
photometry.  There are some hints of multiple periodicities in the
historical record.  Porb is around 5 hours, so this star does need quite
long nightly runs.  But it's mighty bright, and for small scopers could
be a great, great target.

joe