(cba:news) ER UMa and BK Lyn

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Fri May 4 17:16:22 EDT 2012

Dear CBAers,

Here's a message from Enrique, which I heartily endorse.  The delicate
issues of period-finding are accomplished now, due to all the diligent
and global coverage.  But when we want to study *stability* of these
periods, we do need *some* coverage late and early in observing seasons
(when the length of the time series is necessarily short).  So if you're
an ER UMa soldier, you can take some breaks, but squeeze in a few more
runs before twilight shuts you down.  Runs >2 hr, that is; below 2 hrs,
the information is just too slim.

Exactly the same situation applies to BK Lyn. This one is a touch more
critical, though, for two reasons:

1. BK Lyn has not maintained equal popularity among CBAers; some of you
are getting tired.  Summon just a little more energy for the gun lap.

2. BK Lyn did a most amazing thing this year.  It turned into a dwarf
nova!  While we have plenty of data documenting (and proving) this, a
key question is: when a novalike turns into a dwarf nova, does it do so
just once (and then smoothly evolve), or does it *stagger* its way?
Because I believe this star to be the remnant of a 2000 year old nova,
the former possibility (if true) would set the timescale for old novae
to turn into dwarf novae.  That number has never been known... but is it
known now?

Keep the faith on other targets, which are much more seasonal.  And if
you're covering CR Boo or V803 Cen, can you loudly announce it when
these stars go into superoutburst (signified when they reach V~13 and
show big superhumps)?  The supers only last a couple of days, and we
need to get global coverage in order to confidently parse the period
structure.

joe