(cba:news) big bear conference thoughts

Jonathan Kemp jk at cbastro.org
Mon Jun 18 15:30:40 EDT 2012

Hi CBAers,

I just wanted to give you a bit of an update following the Big Bear
SAS-AAVSO meeting in late May.

I thought we had a very fruitful meeting of CBAers and prospective CBAers
as well as many other useful casual discussions.  After the meeting, Joe,
Helena, Enrique, and I also had some discussions to address some of the
issues brought up by CBAers.

Here is a brief run-down of some of what we discussed:

- We do not plan to amalgamate our data and archive with another
  organization.  There was a widespread sentiment that a blanket policy of
  sending all data to another organization would likely remove the CBA's
  separate and unique identity.  We do, however, plan to improve our
  infrastructure to address issues related to this (see other comments
  below).

- We plan to roll out a web site upgrade over the coming year.  I have
  been testing a content management system setup with another small
  astronomy organization and expect to implement that for the CBA.  This
  will allow a more dynamic web site that can be more easily maintained by
  a core group of folks.

- We plan to satisfy key aspects of member questions about current
  targets, data, and results by implementing a robust section of the web
  site tailored to the coordinates, charts, scientific justifications,
  observing strategies, and quick-look graphical results of current
  targets.

- We plan to post more specific information regarding requested data
  format and associated metadata.  We intend to continue to have
  flexibility, but a set of guidelines will be made more obvious.

- We plan to post more specific information regarding flexibility that
  contributors should feel free to have with sharing their own data beyond
  the CBA.

- We plan to reinstate production of CBA Newsletters.

- We plan to develop an FAQ that more directly and obviously addresses
  common questions.

- We plan to continue to satisfy data set requests by members and others
  and possibly making this request and access mechanism more transparent.

- We plan to provide a more robust section of the web site identifying and
  describing individual members, at least to the extent to which they wish
  to be identified, and possibly providing the capability for members to
  personally maintain profiles.

- We plan to investigate options for and adopt a web-based discussion
  forum for some CBA communications, including more casual and less
  time-critical discussions.

- We plan to investigate options for, adopt, and migrate our data
  archiving to a new digital repository platform.

- Also, it should be noted that the move of our server outside of Columbia
  last year means that we now have additional capabilities and fewer
  limitations than we once did.

Now, this is a lot, and is fairly forward looking.  But with a somewhat
larger core of folks involved on the administrative and technical end, as
well as new resources to help distribute maintenance and improvement, we
hope to achieve many of these items, although I'm sure we'll fall short on
others.  We hope some will be this year, although the time-scale of others
may be quite a bit longer.

Lastly, on a personal note, I have been a bit spartan (to say the least,
especially with respect to newer contributors) in personal CBA
communications over the last year and a half.  That period has seen me
change observatories and spend an intense period getting up to speed with
a new set of equipment, data, and responsibilities.  I am now heading to
the mainland as my spouse has accepted a position at a college in New
England.  CBA Hilo will soon become CBA Vermont, and with my change in
commitments will hopefully come a bit more time for CBA involvement once
again.

Cheers,

Jonathan (& Joe, Helena, Enrique)