(cba:news) Fwd: AM Cvn-type star in outburst

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Fri Jun 8 21:50:25 EDT 2012

More of a chat item, but I just wanted to give it a wider scope.

New outbursting AM CVn stars only come along every 5-10 years, and this
appears to be one.  Plus it's transiting around midnight, and is not
outrageously faint.  Wow.  Helena and her gang will probably run on this
star around 1130-330 PDT = 1830-2230 UT from Kitt Peak (they'll start
the night with CR Boo, now madly superhumping - it's a hot night for the
heliums).  It would be great if some USA observers could cover this
helium star in Hercules at other times... and if everyone (Bob and Greg,
is the sky clear out in Oceania?) could nail CR Boo during these
critical nights.

Then there's V1974 Cygni, which doesn't sink in my esteem just cuz the
others rose.

It sounds greedy, but I've been restrained in recent weeks!

joe