(cba:news) Fwd: (cba:chat) SBSS 1108+574, ultrashort CV?

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Tue Apr 24 12:43:07 EDT 2012

I imagine you all got this, but just wanted to stress its importance.
This 55 minute period is in sort of a forbidden zone - too short to be
an SU UMa, too long for an AM CVn.  Let's bear down and learn what we
can from this rare outburst.  At least I assume rare... after all, it's
the first one seen.

joe

Hi all,

   There was a vsnet alert 2 days ago regarding an outburst detection
by CRTS of SBSS 1108+574
(11:11:26.80 +57:12:38.7). A new alert yesterday suggested a short
period for this target. I'm still running,
but after ~5.5 hours, it's superhumping (amplitude ~0.20 mag) at mean
mag ~15.8, and period below 1 hour
(0.931 h). This is a very blue object, with SDSS color g-r=-0.03.
Probably an ultrashort period CV of
who knows what type ......

Enrique