(cba:news) (cba:chat) BW Scl colour index

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sun Oct 23 08:11:00 EDT 2011

Hi BW Scl fans,

I'd suggest no B, as far as time series are concerned.  B is the least
desirable (OK, U is worse) of all the filters, because there will be
significant differential extinction: a slow bend as BW Scl reaches high
airmass.  This will slightly degrade the period search; but more
significantly, it will introduce low-frequency periodic signals,
probably around 1.0 or 2.0 c/d.  V, R, and I are much better in this
respect (extinction coefficients low and similar).

Also, some B filters are a little dark.  Check.

Because I consider time resolution to be very important, I'd advocate a
straight V time series.  When dwarf novae are bright, the various
commonly obtained time series (B,V,R,I) tend to be extremely similar,
with no useful information (usually) obtained from the filters.  So you
lose time resolution, with no real benefit.  Very late in the outburst
(probably when V>13 for this star), a significant and still-unexplained
red excess sometimes appears.  That would be great to study for BW Scl.
  You could do it with VI time series... or possibly with a fairly
extensive snapshot coverage.

But probably straight V is best for the next 2-3 weeks. Assuming this is
a super, which now seems very likely.  When it gets faint, the
time-series (rather than snapshot) choice will probably be *unfiltered*.
  Probably.

Finally, can anyone take *very fast* time series?  Many dwarf novae in
outburst show periodic signals ("dwarf nova oscillations", or DNOs)
around 20 s or thereabouts.  This requires excellent time-keeping and a
cycle-time not exceeding 7-8 s.  Don't knock yourself out to do this,
though - remember the Tortoise and the Hare.

BTW since I'm advocating against B, B observations may end up being
particularly valuable (because there might be a lot fewer of them).  I
doubt it, but maybe!  I *really* doubt it for time series... but
possibly for snapshots.

joe