(cba:news) Outburst of VW Hyi

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sat Nov 26 05:57:36 EST 2011

Dear CBAers,

Despite the rash of fascinating targets in this month's night skies -
and in particular the first-in-history eruption of BW Scl - I'm inclined
to give VW Hyi an emphatic welcome to the CBA menu.  Although it has
been studied a lot, it has never been thoroughly studied with today's
"all-telescopes-all-the-time" techniques... and as one of the
nearest/brightest dwarf novae, it promises to yield a lot of information
from such close scrutiny.  In particular:
(1) the fascinating but still little-known fine structure of superhumps
(nw-mW, where n and m are unequal integers);
(2) the details of how power gets shuffled between orbit and superhump
frequencies;
(3) the possible transient appearance of negative superhumps; and
(4) the precise shape of the long-term O-C.

With very nearly global coverage of the outburst, I bet VW Hyi would
have something useful to contribute to each of these questions.  And
that doesn't even count the harvest of unanticipated results... which is
the usual outcome of *any* scientific experiment!

I imagine that VW Hyi will be an all-night target for you australites...
which might threaten BW Scl somewhat.  I hope there's enough telescopes
and overlap of coverage to permit both targets!

joe

Why?  Because it's one of the very brightest of dwarf novae