(cba:news) HT Cas and the IPs
jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sat Nov 6 07:43:25 EDT 2010
Most of you know the story on HT Cas by now - bright, large superhumps,
deep eclipses, well-placed for all borealites. Just a great target for
all northern CBAers. For a change, *these* light curves are suitable
Hard to compete with that... but let me try. We've also been getting
good coverage on several DQ Hers (intermediate polars), and I've been
scrambling to keep up with the analysis. Here's a progress report:
* AO Psc, FO Aqr: done for the year
* RX0704+26: done for now, paper submitted; pick up again in Dec-Jan
* V2306 Cyg: done for the year - this star is complicated!
* V709 Cas: definitely good for continuing this productive campaign
(led by Enrique and Jim Jones); however, this year's signal
is the first harmonic, at 156.5 s - so you must use good
time resolution (40 s or better)
* IGR0023+61: yes, in season, strong pulse, absolutely a good target
throughout the month.
* RX2133+51: great campaign (led by Enrique, Tut, David Boyd, and Bob
Koff), but we're done; a few pulse timings in January
would be nice, to nail down the long-term ephemeris
* XSS0056+46: now in mid-season - excellent for long time series from
* V1062 Tau: Enrique and Tom have started up the campaign, and the
periods are detected despite their length (1 and 10 hr).
Good target, but only for *long* time series.
* RX0636+35: Tom has been getting steady and excellent coverage on this
star. Somewhat early in the season - but if his coverage
could be complemented by long time series from Europe, we
could nail the elusive long period, not just the short.
Especially NOW, to connect up with Tom's streak.
* V2069 Cyg: (RX2123+42) Let's squeeze in some good time series of this
star before the season's over!
* BG CMi, HT Cam, WX Pyx: time to start the season on these guys.
That's a first installment review of the DQs. Clear skies!
I'll attach the time series to date for RX0636+35 (mostly Tom). As you
can see if you inspect it, it still suffers from zero European coverage.
Time series very soon would merge very well with this, and be very
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
More information about the cba-public