(cba:news) New DN/AM Her star in soft X-ray outburst?

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sat Jul 17 17:56:07 EDT 2010

Southern observers may want to take a crack at this.  It's kind of
off-season, but this could be a very important object, especially if it
turns out to be a dwarf nova.  It's at 16th mag in quiescence
(presumably), so could be much brighter now.

And speaking of southern objects, it's time to end the GW Lib campaign.
We've fully answered the questions we set:
* Are there rapid pulsations?  No.
* Is the 4.2 hour signal coherent?  No.
* Is the 4.2 hour signal persistent?  Yes.
* Have we learned what the 4.2 hour signal is?  No.
* Is there an orbital signal?  No.

That's good enough, and we'll have a paper on this coverage, as well as
the 2008 coverage (when there *was* a pulsation) and the 2007 outburst,
ready in about a month.

A good time to start on some of the other stars we're promoting!

joe