(cba:news) XMM1151-62 ans HS1813+61, mostly

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Fri Aug 6 18:07:02 EDT 2010

Dear CBAers,

Success on XMM1151. Despite the awkwardness of (western!) Centaurus in
August, we did manage to extract the orbital period of this odd (or
maybe odd) new CV.  Chris Stockdale jumped on it right away, and along
with Berto, Greg, and Si Lowther (a new observer from NZ; the usual NZ
stalwarts must have been skiing), the longitude spread was good enough.
  I think ATel 2777 is about to come out:

http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=2777

This should be a major target next year.

It's time to ring down the curtain on HS1813+61.  The star is about 1
magnitude fainter than in our previous campaign... and this has greatly
reduced the superhump signal (which is quite hard to track).  As a
consolation prize, we get the orbital signal - which is nice, and not
previously seen in photometry, though previously known from radial
velocities.  Anyway, it's time to move on to other - and generally
easterly - stars.

In the north, I strongly recommend WZ Sge and GD 552 = Cep 1, both
hugely important stars (in our understanding of CV evolution), yet
strangely unmolested by CBA campaigns.  The previous list of DQ Hers
applies too.  I'll send out a full letter tomorrow morning.