(cba:news) AM CVn mostly

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Mon Apr 5 08:40:05 EDT 2010

Dear CBAers,

Reports from Tut Campbell, George Roberts, and Jeremy Shears indicate
that SDSS 1055+09 faded fast... which usually means a normal outburst.
There's some chance it'll trigger a super, so 2-3 more days of snapshots
would be good.  Unless it jumps back into a super within 3 days, forget
about it.

Thanks in part to a long season-opening baseball game, I've finished
analyzing the month's data on AM CVn.  The perpetrators were Bob Koff,
Tut Campbell/George Roberts, Russ Garrett, Arto Oksanen, Bart Staels,
and Gordon Myers.  A great team, and a great month of data!  As some of
you know, we don't particularly track the main superhump (at 525.6 sec)
nowadays.  It's always present with the same amplitude, and its phase
wanders on a timescale of weeks - as we've shown in many papers
stretching over 30 years (although for 22 of them, this was considered
"controversial").  Now my main interest is tracking the orbital wave,
which is significantly weaker and therefore requires many long time
series to specify with the needed precision. That wave occurs at
1028.7322 s.  It's particularly interesting because AM CVn is a likely
target for the upcoming gravitational-wave detectors (2 WDs orbiting in
17.5 minutes, that's a pretty potent radiator of GR).  And also because
when we see the Porb *change*, it signifies the direction and rate of
binary evolution - which we'd dearly like to know for these ancient
binaries!

I have 3 good orbital timings for the month, which is normally a good
haul for a whole observing season.  However, I noticed that the NODAL
SUPERHUMP - the 1011 second signal which probably comes from the
retrograde wobble of the disk - was strong throughout March.  I've never
seen it so consistently strong.  We've *never* done (nor has anyone else
of course) a thorough study of that signal - for stability, harmonics,
and correlations with the wandering of the 525 s signal.  Since we've
already got a good baseline and the observing season has plenty of life
left in it, let's KEEP THE CAMPAIGN GOING.  It's particularly a good
choice for smaller scopes (not suitable for the deep-sea targets) or for
mediocre nights (since our interest is *periodic signals*, mere loss of
signal-to-noise is not that important).  But of course, best of all are
long time series on excellent nights with large telescopes!

This doesn't cancel or modify my earlier target suggestions.  But they
did run a touch on the *faint* side... and I was delighted to see such
interesting and new things come once again from our old friend AM CVn!