(cba:news) New from AIP4Win... and some stars too

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Fri Apr 2 11:12:06 EDT 2010

Dear CBAers,

I think about half of you are using Richard Berry's AIP4Win software.
It's probably the quickest way to go from unwrapping the camera to
scientifically useful data... so some of you might want to look at it.
It comes with their fine book "Astronomical Image Processing"... and I'm
sure is available free-standing too.  Anyway, he has a "CBA data format"
option in the software, which makes ol' spreadsheet-phobic me happy -
and now includes airmass as well, which will make it possible to remove
differential extinction to first order.  That will give us access to an
awkward period regime - from 0.3 to 2.0 days.

Here's his message. BTW some of you might want to attend the NEAIC/NEAF
meeting in 2 weeks.  I'll be there Sunday, though not Saturday.  The
talks are OK but nothing great... but the vendor booths, now they're
just wonderful!  Better than Riverside, Stellafane, ASP, SAS, or
anything I've ever seen.  It's like the astronomer's version of the Las
Vegas consumer electronics show, ot the Tucson gem show.

All your coverage of MU Cam and BG CMi have cinched the cycle count;
these stars can be retired for the season.  The only remaining guy on
that particular menu is WX Pyx, which can use 2-3 more runs.  Then I'd
like to commend some HARD (faint) targets:

OT 1112-35 (11 12 17.4 -35 38 28.8 2000.0)
SDSS 1238-03 ("Vir" in Downes cat)
SDSS 0813+28
SDSS 0804+51
SDSS 0751+14

These are high-risk (cuz they're faint), high-reward stars.  Some may be
around 19th mag or even 20.  If the time overhead for acquiring a
snapshot magnitude is not too much, snapshot magnitudes are plenty
valuable.  And if you don't feel too strange in acquiring a time series
on a star you can barely detect, that would be great too.

More on the brighter stars later today.  AM CVn remains a very, very
good target - and of happy day, transiting near local midnight.  In the
south, it's time to start up again on EX Hya (easy target), and to get
acquainted with LY Hya (hard target),

joe