(cba:news) Probable nova Eri 2009: the spectrum

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Thu Nov 26 11:47:14 EST 2009

i haven't studied the spectrum yet, but this reported spectrum is much
more suggestive of a nova, not a dwarf nova (the DN usually show just
broad Balmer absorption, with some weak emission cores).  Plus Tom
Krajci's light curve from NM showed only weak variability at best.

The star still has some serious 'splainin' to do; even as a nova, it's
pretty odd, and possibly a good campaign target for us some day.
Probably not now, though, unless new spectral evidence emerges, or rapid
light variations.  Maybe one of the southerners can be the Nova Eri
sentry...

joe