(cba:news) when not to love your filters...

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Thu Nov 12 23:53:05 EST 2009

Hi Terry et al.,

This is a good opportunity to comment on filters... though it's somewhat
specialized to TT Ari.

Because of the star's extremely strange and unprecedented state - with
cool secondary and hot WD dominating in the non-flaring phases - it
really is true that multicolor data can be of enormous help in decoding
the relative contributions to the light.  (And this is rare: most CVs,
i.e. their disks, are so broadband that there is seldom much advantage
in using filters.)  However, this presupposes that the multicolor data
has high statistical accuracy... and there is practically no chance of
achieving that with small telescopes on a flickering 16th magnitude star.

So one lesson is a general one: improve S/N by observing clear (or
roughly clear; a little blue block can help with differential-extinction
issues).  This is almost always optimum for period-finding issues... and
shortening exposures to ~60 s will help with time-resolution and
possibly data quality (if your drive is problematic).

But here's an important consideration that cuts the other way.  This is
a landmark event in the history of humanity's acquaintance with TT Ari.
  The light curves are something I've never even dreamt of; and here
they are, rolling off our little telescopes.  Since TT Ari is the
brightest CV in the sky, that's nothing to sneeze at.  So our
observations have solid archival value - except for unfiltered data,
which doesn't, since the bandpass is not defined.  Personally I tend to
prefer data of high statistical quality (unfiltered), since that helps
me get science from it in the short run; but I could imagine filtered
data being equally or more productive for other studies down the road.

For brighter stars and/or bigger scopes, V has much to commend it,
because it is excellent (ideal) for archival purposes, has low
extinction, and you can often get decent S/N.  (Of course, if our stars
weren't rapid variables, we could always get a desired S/N by just
observing longer... but we don't have that luxury!)

Sorry for going on so long... but in my opinion, 300 sec is too long.
When the star flares, significant changes take place in 300 sec.
Anything over about 120 s is difficult to recommend for CVs, unless you
know - as we never do - that no rapid state changes are occurring.

Fortunately, some CBAers ignore my advice and observe in V.  That
greatly helps in calibration.  If everyone observed unfiltered, our
calibration would be really pathetic.

For people who have been observing this star for a while now, I don't
recommend changes in filters or comp stars.  I've measured the offsets
between different observers; and while they change slightly (and
somewhat inexplicably) from night to night, they are of great use in
splicing light curves.  If you do change, announce it prominently in the
message!

joe