(cba:news) TT Ari in its darkest lair

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Tue Nov 10 13:24:45 EST 2009

Dear CBAers,

Some amazing light curves of the quiescent TT Ari coming from the
western USA observers, plus Mike Potter in Maryland who has managed to
extend the coverage by 2-3 hours to the east.   I'm still hoping for
good things from Europe, but I fear that weather there has turned bad -
except for Enrique Agustino (Spain) who has been waging a heroic
struggle with a 4-inch telescope (I think!).  Just a little, so far,
from NZ and AU, but hope springs eternal there too.

I've never seen anything like these light curves.  In fact, no one has -
not for TT Ari, and not for any other CV.  About 7 out of every 11
hours, the star is down at V=16.3, and shows the ORBITAL period - for
the first time ever.  There is then no activity, just a "heating" light
curve which is likely the result of the hot WD illuminating the
secondary's face.  Then the star goes into convulsions at V~15 for 4
hours, then rests again... to repeat the cycle about every 11 hours.
Just flat astounding.

So far, we've learned more from the V (or, if you can't spare the
photons, clear) light curves than from the multicolor photometry.  But
that's probably because it has been at true quiescence for only 1 week.
  Fortuitously I'm about to leave on an observing run with the 2.4 m
telescope; if weather permits, I'll spin filters and likely deconvolve
this star into M dwarf and hot WD.  The flickering itself, when it's
there, is broadband and not too likely to cough up much information from
multiband observations.  I slightly recommend choosing one filter and
sticking with it.  Also, there's value in preserving your setup as much
as feasible; I've had enough simultaneous coverage to calibrate the
various observers.

I say "slightly recommend" because this is in the absence of real
knowledge about what we are observing.  A year from now, I'll have a
more definite opinion about how we *should* have observed it!

More info about other stars tomorrow.  Is there help on the way from
other longitudes re TT Ari?  It would be great - the coherence of this
11 hour cycle is far from established, and it's a damn tough periodicity
to evaluate!