(cba:news) CL Sco active

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Wed Jun 3 06:36:18 EDT 2009

Dear CBAers,

Berto has found an outburst of CL Sco, and this is a good target for
southern CBA coverage - plus a few northerners, as the dec is not all
that extreme.  A blue filter might be a plus, though at mag 11.8 the
object is likely to be pretty blue anyway (implying that unfiltered
light will give results very similar to blue light).

Bona fide CVs practically always flicker, and most symbiotics don't.
But the latter *sometimes* do when they go into outburst, and not much
is known about the origin and nature of that flickering.  The present
outburst is a really good opportunity to explore that... UNLESS a full
night's coverage shows no variability at all.  As usual, that degree of
inscrutability should erase the star from our radar screens.

I finished my quick analysis of V1213 Cen, mostly from Berto's great
data.  (This is the 11th mag ASAS nova.) The star's variability is
pretty interesting for a classical nova, but no pattern was apparent
even from 15 nights of observation.  That's enough to knock it off our
programs.  Until next year, anyway; often a few magnitudes of decline
suffices to reveal a nova's inner machinery (after the ejected shell
disperses).

We didn't organize one, but a significant CBA meeting sort of happened
spontaneously during the SAS meeting at Big Bear.  Among other things,
we decided to have organized meetings next May at Big Bear, and May 2011
at Boston (along with AAVSO and AAS).  More on this later.

joe