(cba:news) [Fwd: RE: [cvnet-outburst] HS1340+1542 and SDSS J114628.80+675909.7]

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Sat Apr 18 09:30:43 EDT 2009

Dear CBAers,

These two recently discovered CVs have popped off, and are well worth a
long time series (or two - or many, if a periodic term emerges).  The
nature of these stars is still mostly unknown.

AM CVn has been mighty interesting, with data from Bart Staels, the
Arkansas gang (Tut Campbell et al.), David Boyd, Bob Koff, and Mack
Julian.  It's worth going for another week, especially for Euros who
like the high dec.  In the next message I'll write a long piece about
our last decade of coverage; the results are too fascinating to quit,
dooming us, perhaps, to another decade of coverage.

But this is the season for *most* of the AM CVn stars, and I strongly
commend CR Boo and HP Lib as the best targets for long campaigns in
April-May 2009.  Except for the occasional mystery dwarf nova popping
off, these equatorial stars should be prime targets for all.  Even the
Euros, if they can tolerate these modest decs.

All the other "current targets" should be swept away - respectfully, but
firmly.  These AM CVn stars richly reward very detailed observational
coverage, but are a lot less valuable when the time series are pretty
scattered.

Happy observing!

joe