(cba:news) CR Boo and April stars

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Tue Apr 1 08:31:11 EDT 2008

Dear CBAers,

Sorry for the long silence.  I have, however, been busily analyzing
data, and it's time for a new slate of target stars.  BTW was anyone
else scammed by this morning's April Fools' joke about the new NASA
program?  I thought it was pretty good... but it coulda been even more
outrageous (and I still would have bit).

I've fully analyzed the season's AM CVn data, and all of it yields a
consistent phase and waveform for the weak 1028 s orbital signal - which
was our objective.  Strangely, the dominant signal this year was at 1051
s, which is normally very, very tiny compared to its first harmonic at
525 s.  I dunno, and neither does anyone else, what the significance of
that is.  Anyway, it was impressive coverage, and we got enough.  In
fact we even can now connect all 30 years of orbital timings in one
grand ephemeris.  I consider that a great accomplishment!

So AM CVn should be swept off the stage.  Likewise for YY Sex =
RX1039-05, thanks mainly to the great efforts of Robert Rea.  We've been
tracking that one for six years, and have a fine constant-period
ephemeris.

OT0559-51, HV Vir, and CSS080304 should also be swept away.  We did
pretty well with the second and third... but more important, the
outbursts appear to be over.  The secondary targets are mostly DQ Her
stars, and all in the evening sky.  We have *some* coverage for each,
but would profit somewhat by 2-hour runs now quite late in their
observing seasons (very late and very early in the season means short
observations, but greater leverage over the long-term cycle count).  But
two *other* DQ Hers are in this category, not on the present list, and
deserve even greater emphasis: WX Pyx and HT Cam.  Both are 17th mag
stars but have fairly prominent DQ Her signals... we're in the dark of
the Moon, and a good night will yield a pulse timing!  So those are good
targets.

CR Boo just jumped into superoutburst, and at 1346+08 it's very well
placed for long observation at all longitudes and latitudes.  We haven't
extensively studied it for 12 years, and it's really ideal for today's
CBA.  So I heartily commend it as a great target for the next few weeks.

And it's EX Hya season again.  Perfect star for you Australites on
lower-quality nights.  Time to tweak up that long-term ephemeris.

CI UMa is a northern dwarf nova we've never quite studied, and that just
went into superoutburst.  Perhaps well placed for some northern CBAers,
depending on observatory/telescope details.  I'd love to see some data
on it.... But I do recommend CR Boo with greatest emphasis, because we
have a good chance of accumulating data from many longitudes.

Happy observing!