(cba:news) SS LMi, a long-shot target...

Joe Patterson jop at astro.columbia.edu
Tue Oct 24 13:51:25 EDT 2006

Dear CBAers,

I noticed Jeremy Shears' announcement of SS LMi in outburst - this is
sort of a mystery object, and from his description of a 90-minute
light curve, it sounds like a good candidate as a superhumping DN.
The sky position is really quite bad, but I think if we can patch
together some time series in Europe and the USA, we can learn the period
(and assess the nature of the variability).  Tempting target for that
last 2 hours of the night!

Also, I should remove HS0229+80 from our list of stars; I've seen a
few nights now, and the variability is quite weak... not really in our
realm of interest unless the star does something else to boost its
priority.

joe